The more <filename> command pauses the display of a file after a page or screen has been displayed. When you press the spacebar the next page of text is displayed. This command offers several options beyond the spacebar that let you control how the remaining display is shown, and can be quite useful when examining large text files such as log files or configuration files.
Here are the options you can combine with the more command:
- Spacebar. Forward a screen.
- b. Backwards a screen.
- Return. Forward a line.
- /<string>. Go to the next occurrence of the string.
- n. Find the next occurrence of string from your previous search.
- h. View the more command help screen.
- q. Quit the more command.
Remember more of these options, and you can save a lot of time.
Barrie Sosinsky is president of consulting company Sosinsky and Associates (Medfield MA). He has written extensively on a variety of computer topics. His company specializes in custom software (database and Web related), training and technical documentation.