What: Kerio MailServer
Type of product: mail server software solution/messaging/collaboration
Vendor: Kerio Technologies, Inc. provides Internet messaging and security products for small- to medium-sized enterprises.
Value proposition: The Kerio MailServer comes with built-in anti-spam, antivirus, WebMail, and a simple LDAP for quick and easy installation. To help combat increasing security threats, Kerio MailServer offers a wide range of features to keep e-mail from being intercepted, infected by computer viruses, or sent as spam. The settings for the mail server components can be administered through one administration console, lowering administration and support costs. Enterprises interested in collaboration tools such as those found in higher-end software like Microsoft Exchange, will also be pleased with shared folders, calendars and contacts and robust Web mail.
Price: $449/20 user license
How to use the Kerio MailServer Migration Tool: Kerio MailServer Migration can be installed on Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a), 2000, XP and 2003, and is relevant for administrators looking to migrate from Windows servers to Linux servers. Microsoft Internet Explorer (4.01 with SP2 and above) is also required. A wizard is used for Kerio MailServer Migration installation. During the installation, both MS Exchange as well as Kerio MailServer must be running. One part of the Kerio MailServer Migration is the installation of Kerio Outlook Connector, which is necessary to complete the migration properly.
- Pre-migration preparations:
- Before you run the migration, it is necessary to enable master authentication for the server (in Advanced options/Master authentication) on the Kerio MailServer. For more information about master authentication, see Advanced Options.
- The migration tool does not migrate public folders; therefore it is necessary to copy the public folders on Exchange to an administrator account on both Exchange and the Kerio MailServer. Once this account has been migrated to the Kerio MailServer, move the public folders to the Public Folders on the Kerio MailServer.
- Screen 1: In this step of the wizard, users can view the basic settings of MS Exchange and Kerio MailServer. These settings are required in order for the migration to be completed properly.
- First, it is necessary to verify whether both MS Exchange and Kerio MailServer applications are running.
- Migration must be running on the same server as MS Exchange.
- Migration must be run under a user who possesses administration rights to the MS Exchange server. This user must also have an MS Exchange account created, and the username must be identical to the name of the user. TIP: If you have never used the migration tool before, try moving only one account created for testing purposes only.
- Screen 2: This step allows for selection of the accounts to be migrated. Use "Select all" to check all available accounts.
- Screen 3: In this step, users can enter the Kerio MailServer address and password for master authentication of the destination of migrated data.
The IP address or DNS of Kerio MailServer can be specified in this field.
- Master authentication password
The master password is set in Advanced options/Master authentication on the Kerio MailServer. For more information about master authentication, see Advanced Options.
- Screen 4: This step enables users to perform automatic installation of Kerio Outlook Connector on the client hosts. Use these settings if Kerio Outlook Connector is not installed on the client hosts.
Check "Create an installation" to enable the automatic installation of Kerio Outlook Connector. After the installation is enabled, specify the path to the fileserver (any location on any network disk) from where the installation of Kerio Outlook Connector to the client hosts will be performed. The network path can be specified either manually in the Network path item or browsed by using the Browse for folder window. In the second part of the dialog, users must specify:
- Administrator account
The user with administration rights to the computer where Kerio Outlook Connector will be installed.
Password for the administrator account.
- Administrator account
- Screen 5: Visual progress bars of the migration.
The user currently migrated. This item serves for better orientation in the migration process.
The folder currently migrated. This item serves for better orientation in the migration process.
- Screen 6: The information about the status of the migration together with the number of migrated users and messages is displayed.
Press the View report button to display the migration progress log with important information about users and their passwords.
For more information: http://www.kerio.com/media_kms.html