OpenVPN is an open source virtual private network (VPN) product that offers a simplified security framework, a modular network design and cross-platform portability. OpenVPN is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Private licenses are available for individuals or companies wishing to redistribute OpenVPN in modified form.
Advantages of OpenVPN include:
- Security provisions that function against both active and passive attacks.
- Compatibility with all major operating systems.
- High speed (1.4 megabytes per second is typical).
- Ability to configure multiple servers to handle numerous connections simultaneously.
- All encryption and authentication features of the OpenSSL library.
- Advanced bandwidth management.
- A variety of tunneling options.
- Compatibility with smart cards that support the Windows Crypto application program interface (API).