What are the factors involved in planning effective Linux system administration?
A successful project requires several planning areas that need comprehensive consideration. This analysis enables an organization to develop a plan and the associated prerequisites so that work steps can be outlined ahead of time to ensure a successful implementation. I have seen many projects fail because one or more of these steps were not planned with due diligence. With system administration projects, increased planning enhances the chances of achieving success and reduces the amount of time required to complete the project. The areas to consider are:
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
- Project planning
- Architectural plans, depending on platform (Intel, RISC, Z)
- System management design criteria
- Change and configuration management (CCM)
- Testing criteria and management
- Databases support
- Storage systems
- Network management
- Ongoing operational planning requirements
- Integration with other enterprise systems
- Scalability planning
- Business Continuity Considerations
- Selecting the right Linux distribution and service options
Dig Deeper on Introduction to Linux system administration
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.